Kicking off at around 7.30pm we were welcomed by KDJFC President Mike Davis providing the guests with an introduction to the Inaugural Steven Armstrong Medal and invited Steven Armstrong up the front for a discussion and addressing the guests in the room.
Year 12’s coach Dan Curtis was invited to conduct the Vote Count of the first 5 rounds. Before the counting began our first video presentation, of many throughout the course of the evening, was displayed on the big screen which highlighted photos and footage from "Rounds 1 – 5". Dan proceeded to call out the votes of the 5 rounds providing a round summary for each game prior to reading of the votes. Dan then invited Senior Vice President Paul Curtis to announce the Leaderboard after 5 rounds with player Joel Curtis in the lead on 47 votes, ahead of Lee Griffiths on 33 votes and Aidan Hodge on 30 votes.
Our guests were treated to a buffet meal dinner with the “Year 12’s Memories of the Years” video presentation being shown during dinner service which included much footage from 2009 – 2017.
Coach Michael Brescacin was next invited to conduct the Vote Count of rounds 6 – 10 with our next video video presentation highlighting "Rounds 6-10" was shown to our guests. Paul once again announced the Leaderboard after 10 rounds with Cameron Wilson in the lead on 56 votes ahead of Aidan Hodge and Joel Curtis both on 47 votes.
We then moved into the Cougars Encouragement Award where Paul briefly discussed the background of the Award and invited Kalamunda Cougars Vice President Beau Barratt to address the room and announce the award recipient – LOUIS PAMMENT.
Another break in the proceedings with commencement of dessert service and video presentation of the “Year 12 Team Introductions” was viewed showing many photos of each of the players with a few oldies of when they were younger.
Going into the final rounds of the season both Dan and Michael would conduct the vote count of rounds 11-14 with a twist in not revealing the votes of what each player received, after the last video presentation of the night of "Rounds 11-14". Once the last 4 round votes were read there was only 2 votes that separated the top 4 and 1 vote that separated the Fairest & Best from the Runner Up.
Year 12 team sponsor Jimmy Fleming from Asteel Powdercoaters and Steven Armstrong were invited to present the Runner Up Fairest & Best recipient – with Steven announcing AIDAN HODGE as the Runner Up on 65 votes and we were all entertained with his acceptance speech.
Mike Davis once again addressed the room revealing that we had dual winners for the Fairest & Best with Steven announcing CAMERON WILSON and CONNOR LUCAS as the inaugural Steven Armstrong Medal winners for 2017 on 66 votes each.
Proceedings were wrapped up with President Mike addressing everyone with his closing speech for the evening and with the Year 12's singing the Tigers club song for the very last time with their coaches and Steven Armstrong.
The evening was a huge success for not only our inaugural Steven Armstrong Medal night but also a celebration of our Year 12’s time at the Kalamunda Tigers before they finish their junior football careers.
We sincerely thank Steven Armstrong and his family who attended the evening to witness the beginning of something amazing at KDJFC. The first of many more years of tradition within the club.
KDJFC would also like to thank the following:
- Mel Fleming for the amazing work in preparing for the event and organising everything from the catering, room decorations, format, organising the creation of the medal, help with the slide show presentation and producing the video presentations shown throughout the evening.
- Haydn Bell for preparing our slide show presentation and taking control of the slide show on the big screen throughout the evening.
- Sharon Pamment, Kerryn Armstrong Jones, Dan Curtis and Mike Davis for their help during the day with setting up of the venue.
- Our hosts of the night – Mike Davis, Paul Curtis, Michael Brescacin and Dan Curtis.
- Kalamunda Cougars for providing the use of their clubrooms to host this prestigious event.
- Don Benson from Don Benson Photography who was our official photographer for the night, who in fact was a coach for many years at the Kalamunda Tigers.
- Sheridan’s Badges and Engraving for the amazing work in producing our beautiful unique Steven Armstrong Medal.
- WA Spit Roast for the lovely meals served throughout the evening.
- Impact Flags for creating our centrepieces.
We hope that our Year 12’s and all of our guests who attended the Inaugural Steven Armstrong Medal Night enjoyed the evening.
Photos from the Steven Armstrong Medal Night have now been loaded to a dropbox album (smaller 800px versions). For orders, please refer to the pricing guide at the very start of the album.
STEVEN ARMSTRONG MEDAL TOP 12 LEADERBOARD:
1 Cameron Wilson (66 votes)
Connor Lucas (66 votes)
2 Aidan Hodge (65 votes)
3 Jackson Bowen (64 votes)
4 Joel Curtis (47 votes)
5 Lee Griffiths (42 votes)
6 Jake Dyer (40 votes)
7 Yuval Berman (36 votes)
8 Ryan Daye (32 votes)
9 Louis Pamment (26 votes)
10 Halden Michaelson (17 votes)
11 Byron Tielen (13 votes)
12 Matthew Jenkins (12 votes)